Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Saturday

I had a plan for Saturday. It was a good plan. And then it blew up. Not just slowly disintegrated, but exploded, like the secret messages self destruct in Inspector Gadget, leaving Chief Quimby with a sooty face and shreds of paper slowly floating to the ground. (And if you don't remember Inspector Gadget, I feel sorry for you. I still say "Go, go gadget arm!" when I need something. And yes, I'm a dork. I'm okay with that.) But when I called, you were there, willing to step in, to do something out of your comfort zone. Because I needed you. You were that cool, calm that only you can be, that constant steadiness that grounds me. You stood by my side on Saturday, worked as a partner. You did what I needed. When I got bossy, you smiled, nodded, and did things your own way -- just what I needed you to do.

Driving home Saturday night, I was overcome with emotion. Exhaustion, to be sure. But also with love, with gratitude, with amazement. Love for you. Gratitude to God that 13 years ago (!)he put you in my life, to be my partner. That he created someone just for me, and that that someone is such an incredible guy. Amazement that someone out there could so completely complete me, balance me out. Thankful that there is someone who has walked beside me in this life, and continues to take each step into the future with me. And I know I told you then, but I'm telling you again now. Thank you. I love you. You're amazing.

Old photos! Can't remember when I took the one on the left -- sometime in undergrad? 
The beach photo on the right is from 2004. Sorry for the bad quality -- scans/crappy old digital camera photos!

3 comments:

  1. Haha, young Jared!!! love it...so glad you have such a wonderful man! :) And I KNOW you rocked it out on Saturday...can't wait to see the results!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome. I love you too. And "When I got bossy, you smiled, nodded, and did things your own way -- just what I needed you to do." - remember that part ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jared just didn't know what he was getting into ;) That's why he took it like a man. And he's married to you... ;)

    ReplyDelete