Friday, June 4, 2010

on becoming me

I've been struggling lately with defining myself. Not necessarily defining my style, or my personality as a photographer (although those are ALWAYS a work in progress -- you know, that whole "never stop learning" thing), but defining what I want Sarah Reed Photography to be now, and to become in the future. It's both exciting and scary to think about what this could become, and usually leads to me questioning whether I really can be that photographer.

Today, as I was thinking about my pricing and my photo packages some more, really thinking about them, I realized something. I do this for fun. I do this because I love creating photos that my clients love. I am not a boutique photographer. I do things my own way, in my own time, with my own creativity and my own pricing structure. Maybe I'm lucky in that I don't depend on the income from this job to maintain my lifestyle, which lets me be so much more flexible in my pricing structure. That being said, I also feel that pricing myself too low does a disservice to me and my talent, and creates a feeling that I'm not a professional (however burgeoning I might be). And that leads to people wanting something for nothing.

Don't get me wrong -- I love giving things away. I love giving gifts. But that's just it, they are gifts, freely given, unexpected. So while I have the ability to be flexible in my pricing, I also have a responsibility to be true to myself and my photography. So no, I'm not cheap. And I'm not free. But if you appreciate me as a photographer and a professional, I will appreciate you as so much more than a client -- as a friend.

And for your lovely viewing pleasure, a quick shot from the kitchen of the villa I so unwillingly left this week....

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm, you should have asked me. I've known for quite a while you are neither free or cheap... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I guess Jared would know the answer to that question....

    ReplyDelete