Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Getting organized...


Sorry for no posts in a few days -- I've been busy with work and getting life back into a normal routine after the holidays! Anyways, just a short post today with some of the cool programs I've been using lately to keep track of things. I have two basic problems: 1) I have more than one computer that I work from on a regular basis, at least for non-photo editing types of things and 2) I really haven't (hadn't) found a good way to keep track of things I find online that I like, i.e. photos that are inspirational, articles I like, etc.  But in the last few months, I've discovered two programs that seem to be pretty awesome at helping with these issues.


The first is Dropbox. Dropbox is an online file sharing service that has free and paid options. The free options are pretty sweet in and of themselves, so I haven't upgraded to the paid version.  Essentially, you install the program which creates a folder on your computer. Anything you put in this folder will automagically (yup, I just pulled that out -- can you hear the "brrring" sound from the commerical?) upload to a server at Dropbox. Now the awesome thing is that not only can you access your Dropbox online at any time, but if you download the software on another computer (I have it on my laptop and my desktop), the next time you connect to the internet on that computer, it will make the changes in the folder on the other computer. As a bonus, you have ALL of these backed up online (you know, in case a hard drive or two fails, or your house gets swept away in a tornado or something). As a bonus, if you refer others (and they sign up and download the program), you get extra free space. Even more space if you sign up with an email from an educational institution. (And what I'm saying by this is if you're interested in this service, let me know and I'll send you a referral!).


The other program that I've just started using is Evernote. It allows you to capture photos, videos, websites, I think just about anything you can imagine. AND, you can keep them organized into different notebooks.  I always find photos online that I love something about, if it's a piece of clothing, a pose, or a background. I can now save that to my Evernote, in a notebook that's appropriate and tag it with whatever it is that I love. I have notebooks for recipes, for photography related articles, for photo ideas and for the miscellaneous stuff I just want to keep track of.  For instance, the other day I was browsing for maternity photo ideas for an upcoming shoot. I found this photo:



By adding it to my Evernote, I not only have the photo saved to refer back to, but it keeps the location so I can return to that blog whenever I'm interested.  It looks like this:



So those are my newest finds... what do you use to keep organized? 

No comments:

Post a Comment