Friday, July 8, 2011

Just an update...

We've been in Connecticut for almost two weeks now... it's not quite feeling like home yet, but it's definitely starting to grow on me. :)  Most everything is unpacked, now I'm just in the arrange/rearrange/re-rearrange state of things, trying to find out where things fit in this new house. Oh, and planning for Miss Meatball's nursery! We have some pretty definite ideas thanks to a brainstorming session with the ever fabulous Wendy a few weeks (or months? really, has it been that long?) ago. We've got a lot to do, so here's the run-down of the short list:

  • Paint. Definitely the first thing on the list, as the walls are a rather terrible yellowish color right now. Not only is yellow not my favorite color in the world, but this is a dirty, mustardy type yellow that just looks like my dog threw up something nasty. (maybe I should have put a disclaimer -- don't read while eating lunch?) We have a general color in mind but haven't picked out anything specific yet.
  • Purchase/assemble crib and dresser/changing table. We're getting these from Ikea, so assembly is definitely required. The bonus is that we've already decided which we're getting. I would, however, like to make a crib skirt but that requires finding the right fabric (which requires deciding on a paint color).
  • Purchase wall art. We have some picked out, but not purchased. I also have a few things already, including a cross stitch done by Jared's mom, a print given to me years ago that has been living in my cedar chest, and a secret piece of art that won't be revealed for awhile. :)
  • Figure out a lighting solution. There are currently two lights hanging from the ceiling, but they're rather old and dingy (and not in the cool retro way for a nursery). My initial idea was some paper lanterns, but the ceiling is a bit low so I may have to rethink that, unless I want Jared smacking his head into them every time he bends over the crib.
  • Find a small rug. I'm thinking something white and semi-shaggy to help pad the hardwood floor for the Meatball.
  • Wash/organize clothing and toys. Meatball's friends and family have already been overwhelmingly generous, so we have a serious amount of clothing to organize and some toys that need homes. (Seriously, I never realized having a baby meant that you "needed" all of this STUFF.) I'm still considering ways to do this. We have some closet space that can be used (maybe some baskets?) and some dresser space. I saw a fabulous idea for dividing up dresser drawers here, which may be useful at some point too. As she mentions, I can just imagine trying to dig through a big pile of clothes in the middle of the night trying to find something that's the right size, all while Meatball is crying and waking the whole neighborhood (well, the skunks and bunnies) up.
Okay, that's enough non-photography business for today, I suppose. Although you can't say I didn't warn you that this blog was most likely going to take a turn towards the personal. :) What can I say? Life is changing, and Sarah Reed Photography is adapting along with it. I will, however, leave you with a pretty picture. And hopefully after this weekend (and a trip to Mystic Seaport) I'll have lots of fun photos to put up.


1 comment:

  1. Glad you are settling into New England! A couple thoughts on your post...we really love our Ikea crib. They have great rugs also - our baby room and living room rug is from there and they, of course, have great prices and kiddie things that aren't too kiddie. And - this may sound ungracious - but you may not want to rip the tags off all the clothes...Dante outgrew stuff before I could get him into it and I wish I had kept the tags on to exchange for a bigger size (and be able to fully appreciate the gifts from friends and family). Regardless, have fun!!

    ReplyDelete